BUT WE'VE DISCOVERED A FAR MORE IMPORTANT USE... FLYRODS.
In 1998, Winston introduced its first Boron series of fly rods. While others have tried to follow in our footsteps, we are the only fly rod company that has successfully incorporated this incredible, but technically challenging material into high end fly rods. Originally designed for aerospace applications, the use of Boron in our high end rods series allows Winston to produce some the lightest, most powerful and most responsive fly rods in the world. Oh by the way, did we mention how amazingly strong they are, too? Boron is Simply Incredible!
Winston's incorporation of Boron materials has enabled us to achieve unprecedented levels of performance. Our Boron series of fly rods have been regarded as the most innovative, most responsive and most extraordinarily powerful fly rods in the world. In the same way parabolic skis have transformed the ski industry, Boron has revolutionized fly rod design. Boron technology and dynamic design provides added line speed, extraordinary line-lifting capabilities and blends unmatched power and ease in every cast. All with the wonderful smooth "feel" you expect from a Winston. Power and feel…together at last.
Boron is incredibly lightweight, yet it is 5x times stronger and 2x stiffer than steel. By incorporating this proprietary material into high-end Winston designs, we can build fly rods that are up to 25% stronger and significantly lighter than a fly rod made from graphite alone. The higher compressive strength and flexural modulus of Boron translates into finely tuned power-transfer tapers that produce an incredibly broad casting range, better line control, greater casting accuracy and the ability to pick up even more line off the water; all of this while still preserving the feel, light presentation and tippet protecting properties found in Winston Boron fly rod. At roughly 12x the cost of graphite, it’s no surprise that Winston stands alone in using this incredible technology in the production of high end fly rods.
- 5x stronger and 2x stiffer than steel
- Provides up to 25% greater strength than rods using graphite alone
- Promotes lighter rod weights by utilize the advanced properties of Boron
- Unique tubular compression strength results in impact resistance, reduced weight and added strength
- Improves sensitivity, resulting in more fish caught
- Increases hook setting power, resulting in more fish landed
- Reduces weight, resulting in less casting fatigue with long days on the water
- Increases rod strength, resulting in the most durable high end rods in the world